For years we thought of bacteria as organisms to avoid. It turns out that our bodies are already loaded with trillions of bacteria. And they play a vital role in our well being.
Why does gut Health Matter?
Gut Health or Digestive Health is essentially the absorption of nutrients from the food we eat and a healthy balance of friendly bacteria in our small and large intestines. And new research indicates that the health of our brain and other vital organs is dictated by the health of our gut. It turns out that there are over a trillion organisms/bacteria in our body that play a role in chronic conditions & diseases like;
Diabetes, Dimentia, Depression, Obesity, Heart Disease, and Cancer. So
How Does the average person improve their Gut Health?
Researchers are noticing a direct link between what we eat and how we feel.
- We want to avoid Saturated Fats/Bad Fats, b/c we now know that saturated Fats contribute to bowel disease. Foods high in saturated fats shift the make up of good bacteria and encourage the growth of bad bacteria. And its because these bad fats are tough to digest and forces your gut to recruit extra help from your liver and this process produces more bile, weakens your intestinal wall and causes excessive inflammation
- Sweat a good workout revitalizes the gastrointestinal tract, it gets the colon moving and helps maintain regularity. Its also useful when dealing with IBS/Irritable Bowl Syndrome. Studies indicate that people who exercise 3-5/per week for a period of 12 weeks had significant improvements in IBS symptoms
- Make sure your getting your Omega 3’s the fatty acids from fish and nuts like walnuts and pine nuts can soothe the gut because of their anti-inflammatory properties
- Decreasing your Stress is as important for your gut as for your mind. Don’t underestimate the power of relaxation & meditation. Get your vitamin D by taking the time get outside and enjoy the simple pleasures of nature
- Feed your Gut with healthy foods that are rich in Probiotics
- Try fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir and pickle
- Prebiotic foods like Artichokes, onion, garlic, leaks
- You can even enjoys coffee, tea, dark chocolate that contains polyphenols that are powerful antioxidants
- Stay hydrated drink plenty of water
Book an appointment today!Get in touch with us